Saturday, May 21, 2011

I did, didn't I?

You are in a conversation, and your mind wanders off to "LA LA LAND" and you blurt something aloud. It could be random, or my favorite.... your inner most thoughts. It could may make sense, or none at all. Yet, people stare and look at you like you either said something offensive or just flat out appalling. You don't know whether to just shrivel into your seat, justify yourself, or just laugh it off. Either way you are in a sticky situation. WOW! Seriously? Did you just say that? (For the matter of fact, I did... and I don't know what else to say about it.) Some people just stare, some laugh, some glare, some have some "related opinions", and the rest couldn't care less.

But really, everyone says something out of the blue. I do it a lot. Sometimes I say things before I think. The other times I think too fast, and my words cannot keep up, so it sounds like a jumbled mess or like I have a memory problem. Sometimes the things I say have deeper meanings to what I actually say, and other times I meant what I said. Maybe my conscience is searching for something; a reaction, an emotion, someone who agrees, someone who understands, or maybe just to make conversation. Regardless, it comes out. You said it, and you can't take it back. Sometimes you don't want to take it back, maybe you just wanted to be honest. (With hopes that your honesty hasn't found you unnecessary trouble.)

Meanwhile, you could take your elders words of wisdom and "think before you speak". But being spontaneous doesn't leave loads of room for thinking, and being honest doesn't leave room for the subtle. I was being honest. If I can shell it out, I should be able to take anything that is thrown at me. Whether someone agrees or is ready to throw lashing words out. I can take it! I can deal with it. But what have I started? A war or just a mutual understanding?

I did, I did say that. And I am ready to take whatever you are going to give me.

No comments:

Post a Comment