Wednesday, March 16, 2011

My Life Would Suck Without YOU!

Ever have someone in your life, someone you thought was special in some way. They could be a crush, a friend, or just fill a void in your life. Regardless they were there and they made you feel good. You hoped you made them feel the same way. For a moment you are content, happy...

Then one day it's gone. A series of events which turned it sour or it just dissolved. Most of the people in my life that this has happened to were friends. A couple of crushes here and there... but nothing I wasn't able to get over and move on from.

Now we have these SOCIAL NETWORKS to help keep in contact with people maybe you wanted to keep in contact with but wouldn't been able to very well if it wasn't for it. A few of the people you didn't think you would have anything in common with. Some of them you just want to keep an eye on. Others just happen to be an "obligation" to keep in touch with. (Don't judge, you have a couple of people in your life that you do that with too!)

Sometimes I wonder if this "social networking" is for the best of human nature or if it's hurting it. We know more then we should. I imagine it is something like living in a small town with a town gossip. But the difference is with social networking is it comes straight from the source. Then people gossip. It's literally a huge "hen party" but we allowed the roosters to join in the fun too. People share just about everything. Their life drama, other peoples' life drama, their kids, music, death, new life, inspirations, support.... People share their opinions in religion, parenting, politics, favorite songs and quotes, questions, and games... It's rather overwhelming when you look at everyone and what they are up too. Some people share just about everything, some people share some, and some people choose to share their views through a code of metaphors, and other's stay pretty superficial. It makes it so it's okay for people to be nosy. Then people get mad when people get into your business... hilarious!

I guess what I am trying to say is the people that dissolved from my life for the most part won't be there. They are gone from my life. Like they never existed. I have no way of contacting them. As I imagine it was like back in the day, when letters and telegrams were exchanged. I know an idea where they were (or where the last time I saw them), their name (could be real or fake or too common or not listed), an idea for an age. A couple of pictures. Songs that remind you of them, a radio full! Memories and feelings... to last a lifetime.

I guess everyone has a few people they would like to come in contact with. With social networking, it makes it easier. That's great. But when does it go too far? When does it become not just a help to socialization but a replacement. When does it start to ruin your social skills, or missing people for that matter. Is it good to miss people? Does it make it easier to know everything you can or does it make it worse? Does it make us more creative or successful? Does it make us happier? Sadder? No difference at all? Could we now live without it if it was gone?

No comments:

Post a Comment