Friday, April 22, 2011

HAPPY EARTH DAY!

POSTING DETAILS ABOUT AUNT FLOW (MENSTRUALS). If you don't want to read please skip this blog post. Thank you!

So Happy Earth Day. About a year ago I decided to buy a Diva Cup and go "GREEN" on my period. I was super excited and wasn't completely sure I what I was getting myself into, but I was determined. I was blessed with horrible cramps and heavy bleeding during my menstruals. As the years have gone on and the children I have had it has not gotten better, but not so much worse but heavier and tiring. I am still working on my Anemia, which I believe is a key element to my heavy flows.

Meanwhile due to my heavy flows, the cost of feminine items were starting to cost me. With a family of 6 with one income, I would much rather spend the $30 to $40 every other month on food or other items in the house rather than my feminine items. So after I came over this I decided to research it more. Then I found out that people buy reusable pads... I thought ew... gross. But it is not different than cloth diapering, which I did not think was gross. (I did not cloth diaper, but now that I know more, wish I did.)

So as I was researching I was getting more and more excited. I found a pattern to make my own panty liners, and bought a bunch of cozy flannel to make them from. And man are they fun! And they wash up so very well! I love them! And no more chafing or rashes from those harsh store bought panty liners. I think I had a slight allergy to the bleached products. Not to mention that you are putting them against and in your body. Not such a good idea...

So the Diva Cup. I love it! I really really really do. It has been amazing, and such a life saver. No more buying tampons and pads of all sizes due to your flow. Less leaking. And I know more about myself and my flow. I chart how much my flow is every month and when I am going to start. During that week I need to carry 5 things with me. My cup, 2 panty liners, a plastic bag, and wipes. I don't have to change it till it's full, and if it isn't full I can wait up to 12 hours before I need to empty it out and clean it and cleaning it is a cinch.

The challenges I had was trying to get it to open up. Apparently this is the most common challenge. It took me 4 months to get completely used to it and comfortable in public with it. Once I got how to open it up and how to clean it in public restrooms (which was a challenge) it isn't a big change at all. I am more comfortable about it. So comfortable that I am willing to share this blog with you.

So there are more Menstrual Cup Brands out there. All over the world. Different styles, colors, sizes and firmness. I happened to come across one of the top brands for my needs.

So you buy it, wash it between emptying and sterilize after you are done with your flow. Every year you buy a new one and toss out your old one. Simple! No more pads or tampons. And all you need is panty liners for back up. :D

DIVA CUP! Here is the link to read more facts and answers about it. What size is best for you. And how to buy one. I found that you can also buy them at Central Markets now. :D

Here are my panty liners:





^ How to use one! :D Not Graphic, but very informative! :D

2 comments:

  1. Lol love this post!! I don't use a diva cup but I do use cloth pads. I have a heavy flow but it only lasts 2-3 days and the mama cloth really has been awesome! Go Jolene!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that you enjoyed this post! I did too. It makes a huge difference what changing this did to me. I feel so much happier about it. I really didn't think I would.

    ReplyDelete